🇦🇺

Inquiry found Pell should have reported abuse

Video Credit: Reuters Studio
Published on May 7, 2020 - Duration: 01:20s

Inquiry found Pell should have reported abuse

An Australian inquiry into child sex abuse in the Catholic Church and other institutions found former Vatican treasurer Cardinal George Pell was aware of child sex abuse and failed to take steps to get the priests removed.

Emer McCarthy reports.

Advertisement

Inquiry found Pell should have reported abuse

Former Vatican treasurer Cardinal George Pell was aware of child sex abuse by at least two priests in the 1970's and 80s -- but he failed to have them removed.

That's according to an Australian government-appointed inquiry into child sex abuse in the Catholic Church and other institutions.

Previously redacted sections of the Royal Commission's report -- which was first issued in late 2017, were released on Thursday.

Pell was acquitted last month on five counts of sexually assaulting two teenage choirboys in the 1990s while he was archbishop of Melbourne.

The Commission found Pell was aware of allegations of child abuse by two priests, Father Peter Searson and Father Wilfred Baker, and should have pushed for their removal.

It also rejected Pell's evidence that he was unaware of why Gerard Ridsdale, another offending priest, was being moved from one parish to another during the 1970s and 1980s.

Pell was the most senior Catholic worldwide to be jailed for child sex abuse.

He was freed in April when the High Court overturned his conviction.

Pell, who is now living in Sydney, did not immediately respond to a request for comment the findings-- the Catholic Church in Australia also declined to comment.

You are here


💡 One News Page Knowledge: Other News Mentions



Royal commission

Formal body created for public inquiry into a defined issue in some Commonwealth monarchies
An aged care resident in Melbourne has told the Royal Commission she has skipped medical appointments to avoid going into stricter lockdown, while the hearing is..
Credit: SBS - Published 15 hours ago


Melbourne

City in Victoria, Australia
An aged care resident in Melbourne has told the royal commission she has skipped medical appointments to avoid going into stricter lockdown.
Credit: SBS - Published 16 hours ago

It's believed the man was from New Zealand and had been in detention for about four years.
Credit: SBS - Published 16 hours ago

With Melbourne residents ordered to cover their faces due to a surge in coronavirus cases, and others are advised to, small businesses are working around the..
Credit: SBS - Published 2 days ago

A further 107 mystery cases have also been added to the state's tally of community transmission, Premier Daniel Andrews said on Thursday.
Credit: SBS - Published 5 days ago

You might like