The Oxford University Police
, or Oxford University Constables
, was the private police force of the University of Oxford between 1829 and 2003. They carried warrant cards and were empowered to act as police officers within the University precincts and within areas of Oxford within four miles of any University building. As of 2001 the force existed as a private constabulary with 40 sworn constables. They were widely recognised for the bowler hats which formed part of their uniform, and formerly had the duty of patrolling outside the Examination Schools alongside the University Proctors, the officials responsible for discipline in the University. They were abolished by the University Council in 2003.